Easy DIY Pallet Swing Bed
Do you like this idea of lazy, summer evenings on this awesome swing bed? For me, there is no better type of relaxation than lying and reading or crocheting. I love swings and hammocks as well as soft cushions and handmade quilts.
There are a number of ways you can make these swing beds. They can be as simple as just using a pallet and rope. This DIY is for the specific way we made ours, which was to fit a twin size mattress. It still was a very simple and quick project, even with a few extra steps.
What you’ll need:
- 2 x 4 lumber (we used three 8-foot pieces)
- measuring tape
- rope (Look for a rope that won’t rot or break down easily and that has a high working load limit – 700 pounds or higher would be ideal)
- mattress or cushion (we used a standard twin mattress)
- 2-3 vinyl zippered mattress covers (Not necessary, but will keep your mattress dry & protected)
How to do it:
- Measure the size of the mattress or cushion you’re putting on the pallet and figure out how many pallets you’ll need to use to fit your mattress on. Take into account the space you’ll need for the rope at the ends.
- Slide the 2 x 4’s through the inside of the pallets, one on each inside edge of the pallet and one through the middle.
- Screw the 2 x 4’s to the sides and middle of the pallet.
- If needed, add additional boards from another pallet to your main piece.
- Cut off 2 x 4’s that are hanging past the length of the pallets.
- Drill holes in the four corners of the pallet, both the top and bottom boards of the pallet. Make sure the hole is big enough for the rope to fit through.
- Thread the rope through the hole, making sure rope goes under the bottom of the pallet and around the 2×4. Tie securely.
- Tie rope securely to tree.
- Enclose mattress in vinyl covers. Place on top of swing.